Because THIS is how you do a healthy, easy 20-minute meal.
I posted the following picture to my Instagram with the caption “staple in my kitchen”:
That is definitely not an exaggeration. Chili garlic sauce is easily one of my favorite pre-made sauces. I put it in dipping sauces, marinades, dressings, etc. and I add it to soups or use it to dip my egg rolls into. I LOVE it. And tonight it was the showcase of my dinner. Twenty minutes is all it took to send me to chili garlic sauce heaven.
In this dinner, it is all about the sauce. I will be eating this dinner at least once a week from now on. I’m not even slightly joking. I’m already anxiously waiting for lunch tomorrow so that I can dive into round 2. I really, really hope that you give this a try!
Easy 20 Minute Garlic Chili Sauce Stir-Fry
Time: 20 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 large carrot (2 medium carrots), chopped into 1/4 inch coins
- 1 small bunch broccoli, chopped into small florets (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- chili garlic stir fry sauce (see below for recipe)
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil, 2 TBSP
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Prepare rice/pasta per package instructions (this is optional).
- In a small/medium sized pot, place both chicken breasts into the bottom of the pot and cover with water (enough water so that there is an extra 1″ inch covering the chicken) and cook over high until boiling. Allow the chicken to boil for 3 minutes and then cover with a lid and remove from the heat. Let the chicken remain in the pot, off the heat, for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a large pan over medium-medium high heat add 2 TBSP olive oil. Place all of the vegetables into the saute pan , and add salt and pepper. Allow to cook for approximately 5 min, stirring frequently. After the five minutes, turn down to medium-low heat and cover. Allow vegetables to cook for another 5 minutes (this steams the broccoli nicely).
- Once the chicken is done (after the 15 minutes have elapsed) remove from the poaching liquid,season with salt and pepper and chop into bite size pieces.
- Add the cooked rice/pasta, chicken and chili garlic stir fry to the sauteed vegetables. Stir to combine and enjoy! You may garnish with some chopped cilantro, if desired.
Chili Garlic Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 TBSP chili garlic sauce
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP rice wine vinegar
- ground ginger, a dash or two
- Measure out and combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Adjust ingredient amounts as necessary.
- Add to your favorite stir-fry/pasta dish.
Please do yourself a favor and get on this!
A quick note: As I’ve previously mentioned, I’ve been watching my eats the past week or so, so this was a low-carb meal, and while I’m generally not a low-carb person, I had already had my fill for the day and I wanted a light, yet satisfying dinner. So given that, I tried a new item – shirataki noodles. They are a Japanese noodle (found in the refrigerated portion next to the tofu/health foods in my supermarket) made out of a “water soluble dietary fiber” (YUMMM) and are extremely low cal and low carb. I prepared them by rinsing them and running them under extremely hot water for a minute or two and then adding them my stir fry. They don’t really have a taste, and kind of remind me of the noodles you find in Pho. I’m a fan, but the above meal would’ve been equally great with rice or your favorite pasta.